How One Amazing Tool is Solving 25 of the Top Health & Fitness Problems
Let’s face it, modern humans need modern tools. When it comes to your health and fitness, you need products that are effective, efficient and proven to solve real problems. The Better Band does all of this and more. The Better Band is the next generation of resistance bands. It is the only band to feature quick-hook technology and easy adjustability. It was developed out of the need for a more convenient, comfortable, versatile and quality tool for training key muscles and movements. Most importantly, the Better Band’s ease of use allows for people of any age, level, or situation to take better care of their body. The Better Band comes in the Perform Line and the Recover Line, and is offered in four strengths of resistance.
- The Glute Struggle - The glutes are designed to be our most powerful muscle group. Unfortunately, sitting and the sedentary features of modern lifestyle causes our glutes to turn off and atrophy. I have even heard it said that many people have “glute amnesia” or “dead butt syndrome” because their glute muscles forget how to do their job. The Better Band is specifically designed to re-ignite the glutes through simple yet highly effective movements.
- Posture - Modern lifestyle is fundamentally set up to deconstruct our posture. Misalignment in the body created by poor posture is a recipe for a host of issues from headaches to herniated discs. It not only looks bad, but also leads to dysfunction and renders the body less capable of handling the stress of gravity. Additionally, the decrease in muscle activation, motor control and muscle length associated with poor posture adds insult to injury. The Better Band can improve posture by providing simple yet effective ways to train and maintain key postural muscles in the hips, core and back.
- Back Pain - Chronic back pain is a massive problem worldwide. I have personally experienced how back pain can completely alter your quality of life and keep you from doing the things you love. Studies have ranked back pain as the number one reason for missed work days, and the number of children reporting back pain is growing. A few of the most important things to focus on for improving back health are hip function, core strength and posture. The Better Band is the perfect tool to help you improve all of these qualities.
- Functional Training - Functional fitness or functional training is the philosophy of optimizing quality of life through specific movement training. It emphasizes the development of key physical qualities so that one can tackle any task or activity that stands before them in life. The Better Band was designed to help pattern and strengthen the body to function better, inside and outside of the gym.
- Core Activation & Strength - While we all seem to love a good core workout, not everyone truly understands how to train their core. The core’s main job is to stabilize the body, not create movement. Your deepest abdominal muscle is called the transverse abdominis. This muscle acts like a corset and is designed to stabilize your torso and hips for actions such as lifting, carrying and pushing. By securing the Better Band around the waist, we can create a tactile cue for better activation. I recommend practicing isolated activation of the muscle first then consciously integrating it into training. It helps to imagine the way you would pull your waist in if you wanted to look skinnier or to fit into pants that were too tight around the waist.
- Metabolism - When it comes to weight loss and weight management, one of the most important things you can do is support your metabolism through strength and conditioning exercises. Specifically, training large muscle groups such as the glutes, legs and back. Generally speaking, larger and stronger muscle groups are responsible for more of our metabolism. The Better Band enhances our ability to train the largest muscles in our body so we can support a robust and healthy metabolism.
- Athletic Performance, Strength & Conditioning - From professional athletes to casual exercisers and everything in between, resistance bands have become an essential tool across the board. The Better Band’s quick hook technology, adjustability and high-quality materials make it the ideal premium tool for elite athletes and fitness enthusiasts. We hear all the time how the efficiency, quality and adjustability of the Better Band is changing the game for our customers. We love seeing athletes using the Better Band to warm-up before a big game. In training we have had athletes find great success using it with other proven tools such the agility ladder, sled, barbell and plyometric drills.
- Better Tools for Coaches, Trainers, Physical Therapists & Doctors - Professionals need products that are reliable, safe, effective and proven. Ultimately, with accountability and consistency being crucial, they need tools that their patients and clients will enjoy and continue to use. An abundance of testing and feedback has shown that the Better Band is an “absolute must have” among these pros. In fact, the Better Band was originally developed to improve the experience and success of individuals with special considerations such as injury and pregnancy.
- Hip Health - In order for us to be healthy and high performing movers, the hips need to be mobile, stable, strong, powerful and resilient. To put more emphasis on the matter, sitting and a generally sedentary lifestyle can rob the hips of many of these qualities. Training and caring for your hips is one of the best investments you can make towards your movement health
- Mobility - Unrestricted range of motion is essential for healthy joints, quality movement and high performance. When mobility is deficient, compensations arise and movement is compromised. Ultimately, a lack of mobility increases the risk of injury and decreases performance. The Better Band can improve mobility by strengthening and stabilizing the key muscles that facilitate joint range of motion (ROM) such as the hip flexors and upper back muscles. It is also helpful for facilitating dynamic contract and relax (PNF) stretches for the hamstrings.
- Better Breathing - Breathing is our most essential function, yet somehow most people are highly ineffective at breathing. Breathing isn’t just about air exchange, it is key for stress management, recovery and performance. Improper breathing can directly impact our state of mind, nervous system, chemistry, energy, immune system, posture, sleep, endurance, movement and more. Your primary breathing muscle is your diaphragm which is attached all the way around the bottom of your ribcage. Securing the Better Band around your lower rib cage can help stimulate and strengthen this important muscle while also providing a useful focal point for re-patterning your breath.
- Natural & Healthy Aesthetics - Let’s face it, modern living is making it harder and harder to keep our bodies looking the way we want. When training for looks, we want to hone in on developing the most aesthetically pleasing areas of the body such as the backside, waist and posture enhancing muscles. Today, we are seeing a greater appreciation for bodies that look balanced, confident and naturally strong. Resistance bands have proven to be one of the best tools for developing this look and enhancing visually pleasing areas of the body.
- Walking - Research has concluded that people who walk faster and who walk more tend to live longer. Your hips serve as your mechanical engine, meaning they create movement through hip flexion and extension. The Better Band specifically strengthens your hip flexors and extensors. For this reason, the Better Band hip series is fantastic for improving your stride range and length for improved walking. In addition, using our Better Band drills to make the connection between your feet and your hips can be very helpful for orthopedic health, performance and longevity.
- Running - In addition to speed and technique, runners also need to pay attention to alignment, stability, breathing and recovery. As a runner myself, it’s refreshing to see more and more athletes taking a holistic approach to training and emphasizing health, performance and longevity side by side. Using the Better Band for prehab, rehab, warmup, breath training and cross-training can provide all of that and more. Additionally, training fast twitch and plyometric exercises such as high knees and speed skaters with the Better Band on can improve running speed.
- Leg Strength - Research has provided multiple studies showing that leg strength is an indicator for both longevity and brain health. All functional movements that involve the legs inevitably also rely on the hips. They are inextricably connected. The Better Band is a game changer for developing leg and hip strength alike. Training with the Better Band will help enhance your performance at the most valuable leg exercises such as squats, lunges and step-ups.
- Safe & Easy for All Levels - While the Better Band is a favorite among elite athletes and professionals, this tool was actually designed specifically for beginner friendliness. It’s super simple to use and no expert guidance is needed. To get started, I recommend watching a few of our videos that highlight the fundamentals such as the “train track march” and the “pronation correction drills”. The exciting part is that research has consistently demonstrated that the greatest improvements in health status are seen when people who are least fit become physically active.
- Jumping, Landing & Falling Safety - “Falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths among persons 65 years or older, and the age-adjusted rate of deaths from falls is increasing. In addition, sports that involve jumping have some of the highest rates of knee and ankle injuries. Practicing specific jumping, landing, and strengthening drills with the Better Band can help build the specific qualities needed to jump higher and land safer. One example of this would be conditioning activation of the glute medius in the landing phase of a jump for women basketball players. This one detail alone can be the difference between a torn ACL and a full healthy season.
- Knee Health - Believe it or not, knee pain rarely happens because of something being wrong with the knees. Very often it happens because of dysfunction below or above. In addition to mobilizing the ankles, using the Better Band to train the hips for stability and optimal leg position can be extremely important for preventing knee pain and injury.
- Shoulder Health - When it comes to shoulder health, there are many things to consider. Two qualities that are consistently important for shoulder health are scapular (shoulder blade) stability and rotator cuff strength. The Better Band pull apart drill is perfect for improving scapular retraction and shoulder external rotation, which are key to shoulder health and posture.
- Injury Prevention & Rehab - Resistance bands have been a staple of physical therapy and rehab science for decades. The Better Band concept was initially created for individuals with physical considerations such as injuries, chronic pain, or pregnancy. It simply makes training easier and more enjoyable.
- Lifting Weights With Confidence - Lifting is one of the most classic and proven forms of strength training. In addition, we all need to lift things from time to time in our everyday life. Incorporating lifting into training can help you prevent injuries, stay strong, feel empowered and live fully! Using the Better Band and hip hinge drills featured in my course Move, Live, Thrive is a great way to prepare your body for weightlifting. Key areas to activate with the Better Band are the glutes, deep core, and back. I also strongly encourage my clients to occasionally use the Better Band around the waist during heavier lifts such as deadlifts to help cue their supportive core muscles.
- Squatting Safely & Effectively - Squats are one of the most valuable exercises when done right. With that said squats are controversial because poorly performed squats can cause problems. Incorporating Better Band hip activation drills into your warm-up and practicing squats with the band around the knees will prime your glutes for power while cueing proper position of the legs and knees. In addition, by wearing the Better Band around the waist, we can cue our core to engage more fully for support during weighted squats.
- Portable Solutions - Modern humans are on the move. We need tools that we can throw in a bag and take with us anywhere. The Better Band is a powerful tool that is about the size of a tennis ball when rolled up.
- A More Convenient, Comfortable & Quality Band - It’s no secret that rubber mini bands, resistance loops and therapy bands are uncomfortable, difficult to use, roll up, don’t stay in place and eventually rip. The Better Band was designed to relieve all of these concerns by featuring a high quality cotton and elastic blend, non-slip grip, wide surface area, and built-in adjustability.
- Accommodating All Sizes, Shapes & Level - The ability to easily hook the band on, precisely adjust the length, and provide a greater overall length makes it perfect for bodies large and small. It also enables quick adjustments, seamless drop sets, faster workouts and seamless sharing between different users.
How It All Started
Hi, I'm Bryan Osuna, founder and owner of Committed HP. I want to take a moment to share a little bit of my story with you. While I have always had a strong affinity for movement, fitness and athletics, I haven't always been the healthy, happy, high-performing pro you see today. After spending nearly twenty years as a highly competitive athlete, I found myself hitting rock bottom towards the end of my college career.
I was perplexed to discover that a person capable of an elite fitness level and athletic performance could at the same time have such serious dysfunction, anxiety, depression, and disease. I quickly discovered that many of the issues I was battling with were widely growing concerns among athletes and the general population alike.
Seeing that there was a serious need for change in the world lit a new fire inside of me to not only heal myself, but to help others with health and performance along the way. After graduating from UC Davis, I committed myself to service in an array of areas including emergency medicine, therapy, fitness sport & health coaching. Over the past 10 years I have channelled my passion for holistic health, movement, science and innovation into developing unique ways to help others.
The Whole Is Greater Than the Sum of Its Parts”
As a whole, my journey has provided some of the toughest challenges to overcome and profound lessons to learn. I am sharing all of this with you because I am certain that you or someone you care about is in a place where we can make a difference in their life.
“Just Remember, Wherever Your Journey Takes You, You Are Not Alone!”
Throughout my journey, I found myself having a vision to create a community of truly healthy, happy, high-performing humans, that can serve as an ecosystem of tools, resources, inspiration and community for modern humans to thrive.
So, that vision led to the foundation of COMMITTED HP - Health & Performance With Purpose.
COMMITTED HP is helping people with transformation and optimization by providing health and performance tools, education and guidance. Our philosophy is to mindfully combine timeless wisdom with modern understanding and experience to create innovation in these areas. The system is designed to serve as a foundation for journeys of every level, size, color and flavor. We are a community led by wellness warriors who walk the walk and talk the talk with wisdom, passion and compassion.
Personally, I strive to live fully by pursuing my passions for movement, athletics, travel, nature, music, challenges and adventure. I believe that true enjoyment of life comes through exploration of the mind, body and spirit. A balanced and energetic mindset guided in the right direction can overcome the most difficult of obstacles.
“Modern humans require modern tools”
Through my years as a health and performance coach, I discovered there was a real need for a more convenient, comfortable, effective and versatile tool for activating and strengthening key muscles.
So, I came up with the idea for the Better band, with improved design, quality and functionality.
I started from scratch and tried to focus on the details that are actually important to human health and fitness.
I also meticulously developed the Better Band hip movement system to fully activate and train the hips. This comprehensive series, which is part of my Move, Live, Thrive program, hones in on the smaller hip stabilizers in concert with our powerful movers such as the gluteus maximus (butt), hamstrings and hip flexors.
The gluteus medius may be small, but it serves very important roles in stabilizing the pelvis and correctly positioning the leg during movement. Utilizing activation drills is crucial because poorly functioning glutes can be a major contributing factor to common problems of the back, knees and hips. The versatility of the Better Band allows it to be used in many other ways such as around the waist to activate core muscles or to activate posture muscles in the upper back.
"Your Hips Are Where the Magic Happens"
The hips are so integral to movement that they are often the first place I look when working with clients. The hips are your center of gravity and your mechanical engine. In order for us to be healthy and high performing movers, the hips need to be mobile, stable, strong, powerful and resilient. To put more emphasis on the matter, sitting and a generally sedentary lifestyle can rob the hips of many of these qualities. Training and caring for your hips is one of the best investments you can make towards your movement health.
Human movement at its core is a common language that we all share. Movement is central to the human experience, transcending age, gender, genetics, background & experience. This program provides a modern yet simple system to help people better understand, appreciate, express and apply movement. My intention is for this program to support a wide variety of lifestyles and goals across health, fitness, performance & longevity. Ultimately, I have distilled down knowledge and wisdom from decades of coaching, training, competing, observing, learning and exploring into one concise and cohesive resource. I encourage you to use this insight in whatever way it brings the greatest value to your life.